Justin, I suspect that you merely have a different idea about what value is than
I do.  It does not mean that either of us would be wrong.

Marx, as I read him, is saying that value is a particular social relationship
unique to capitalism; only living labor creates surplus value; dead labor
cannot.  He does not mean that nature is unimportant or that machines do not
have an important place, but that in capitalism, the key relations for him is
what sort of social relations exist under capitalism.

You may read him differently; if so, labor may not be the sole source of value
in your interpretation, but that does not mean that Marx is wrong.

For that reason, I don't see how this debate can lead anywhere.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department