I have been posting material from David for some time now.  He is
a major protagonist in Rats in the Grain.  I found this story
interesting.

U.S. Attorney Joshua Hochberg Unfit For Office
By: David Hoech
March 26, 2002
U.S. Attorney Hochberg has been chief of the Fraud Section of the
DOJ's Criminal Division since 1998.  From 1995 to 1998 Hochberg
served as deputy chief for litigation in the Public Integrity
Section (PIS).  Presently he also serves as acting U.S. Attorney
for the southern district of Texas.
On June 27, 1995 the FBI raided the headquarters of Archer
Daniels Midland Company in Decatur, Illinois.  For more than two
years prior to the raid ADM executive Mark Whitacre worked with
the FBI to audio and video tape ADM officials and executives of
other companies rigging prices in the lysine and citric acid
markets.  At the time Howard Buffett was an ADM board member as
well as an assistant to ADM chairman Dwayne Andreas.  In early
July of 1995, Buffett resigned from the board and the company,
claiming he was upset with the conduct of ADM officials regarding
the investigation.  FBI-302 reports of FBI agent interviews with
Buffett relate that ADM was involved in obstruction of justice.
Buffett told agents that Dwayne Andreas' secretary Claudia
Madding and another employee took boxes of documents out of
Dwayne's office.  Later, Buffett learned that Martin Andreas, a
senior corporate executive and board member, had organized five
employees to remove documents from other offices.  All this
material was sent to ADM"s co-generation plant for destruction.
In 1996 complaints were sent to Hochberg about troubling aspects
of the fraud investigation; principally that the investigation
was centering on the whistle blower Whitacre and not on other
crimes that were recorded by the FBI tapes through Whitacre.
Hochberg refused to cooperate or respond to any of the
complaints.
On October 15, 1996 ADM entered into a plea agreement with the
government.  It was a sweet deal for ADM.  The company pleaded
guilty to price fixing in two products--lysine and citric acid--
and paid a $100 million fine.  The presiding federal judge, Ruben
Castillo, accepted the plea, which was a downward departure from
Department of Justice guidelines.  It was later learned that ADM
was permitted to keep its government business as part of the plea
agreement. This part of the deal, however, was not specified in
the written plea agreement.  When this information became public,
Judge Castillo asked to be shown the evidence.  When given the
evidence, which included an audio tape of an Undersecretary of
Agriculture verifying ADM's role in the plea, Judge Castillo
refused to give dissenters a chance to appear before him.
As co-founder of the ADM Shareholders Watch Committee I became
both a problem for ADM and the government, because our group was
constantly bringing evidence forward that a cover up by ADM's
lawyers Williams & Connolly and the Justice Department had
defrauded the American people of justice.  After the whistle
blower Mark Whitacre was sentenced on March 4, 1998 to nine years
in prison, Williams & Connolly turned their attention to me and
filed papers in Federal Court in Jacksonville, Florida, alleging
that $2.5 million of the $9.5 million Whitacre received from ADM
was missing.  They accused me of possessing it, and they wanted
to examine my bank records.  At the sentencing of Whitacre, Kurt
Eichenwald of the New York Times asked the prosecutor Donald
MacKay if all the money Whitacre had received was accounted for.
MacKay answered that it had.  Eichenwald later denied he had
asked the question, but it was verified by three other reporters
present that Eichenwald had asked about the money.  MacKay also
told John Stebbins of Bloomberg News that the Justice Department
had no evidence that I had received any illegal funds.  Later
James J. Nixon, another prosecutor from the fraud division, wrote
a letter to my attorney dated April 17, 1998 stating, "That the
government cannot confirm whether or not Mr. Hoech received any
fraudulent proceeds."   In 1999 and 2000 I tried constantly to
contact people from the criminal fraud division.  All said that I
must speak with Hochberg, as he is in charge.  I tried numerous
times.  He refused to answer my telephone calls or letters.  On
January 31, 2000 I wrote Attorney General Janet Reno asking her
for help in clearing my name; I asked her to contact Hochberg.  I
heard nothing until March 20, 2000, when FBI special agent Edward
S. Knapp, Jr. visited me to see if I was a threat to Hochberg and
others.  I explained to him what had taken place with ADM, its
lawyers and the Justice Department, and I explained our role as
shareholders activists.   He seemed embarrassed to have bothered
us and suggested we go after them.  I wrote Hochberg on March 21,
2000, noting "If I put myself in your position knowing what we
both know, I would also feel threatened when the cover up and
conspiracy by the Justice Department, ADM and Williams & Connolly
is going to be exposed.  Like you in your position, I would have
probably called the FBI and asked them to visit me, hoping it
would intimidate us.  I have found those who try to intimidate
others are usually easily intimated themselves.  You might want
to see a mental health professional and have yourself checked
out."  I also noted that it seems strange that he had time to
call the FBI but not time to call my attorney and clear my name.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321