G'day Doug,

> Devine, James wrote:
>
> >is there something about counting software as if it were a physical
> >investment (and thus part of output and the numerator) that distorts
> >productivity numbers?
>
> Shouldn't, much, though no one knows how to adjust it for quality
> either. It does enter into the growth accounting games that are the
> supposedly rigorous evidence for the productivity burst (e.g. Oliner
> & Sichel and Jorgenson & Stiroh).
>
> I see no conceptual reason why software shouldn't be considered an
> investment - without it, computers are useless, and it lasts a long
> time.

Software is definitely investment, but it's been a very regular
investment, no?  Where I work, people are always getting perfectly
functional computers or software suites whipped off their desks and
replaced - loads of labour, living and dead, goes into this artificial
cycle.  If that experience is generalisable, we'd be talking high
profits and productivity (which number depends on what price increases
you manage squeeze out of your customers as much as it does on your
plant and labour costs) for computer, software and corporate network
consultancy firms and lower-than-necessary numbers everywhere else.
Ain't that what the likes of Gordon and Preissl found in the 90s?  Here
at home, my Mac is 9 years old and so is the software that came with
it.  I type just as slowly on this as I do on the one at work, and get
my e-mails at exactly the same speed (although Michael Keaney and
Charles Brown's posts don't come wrapped).  So, yeah, software does last
a long time - as long as it takes you to replace it.

And the pentium may be faster than the 486, but it's the 286 chip that's
embedded in much of our electricity network - it'd run no better with a
pentium, would it?

Oh, and it'd cost no more to make a computer with a clockspeed of X than
it would one of Y, would it?  Each might have cost as much as the other
to develop at the time, and I can't imagine plugging a pentium into a
motherboard (if that's where chips go, I wouldn't have the faintest) is
any harder than plugging in a 486.  So some pentiums are called upon to
do stuff a 486 couldn't have done, but a lot are not.  And only some of
that difference is a productive difference.  How on earth would one find
the proportions and numbers in all this?

Allowing for the fact I'm missing the point,
Rob.