Dears James and Doug,
I do agree with Doug. There is an overwhelming empirical evidence in favor
of the hypothesis that exchange rate movements have contributed almost
nothing to economic growth in the last decades. Kaldor, Thirlwall, and
McCombie are good references on that. Hyperdeflation may have contributed
somehow to rising productivity. However, in the last analysis, despite New
Macroeconomists´ and monetarists' beliefs, the "successful" disinflation of
the world economy has  less to do with "smart" Central Banks' monetary
policies than with the high-tech revolution.
Ignacio