I found the Roach article quite interesting.  I suspect that the
dialectic is at work even today.  The US is trying to overcome a number
of contradictions -- Jim D. likes to talk about the 3 bears.

The Clinton good fortune -- low interest rates and low oil prices --
maynot be there for W.  Roach mentions another problem -- the current
account deficit.  I am still confused between Ellen Frank's (optimistic)
and Jane d'Arista's (pessimistic) approaches.

What is really wierd is that no leaders around the world seem ready to
challenge Bush -- even rhetorically.

I wish that we did more thnking about the contradictions facing the US
economy today.
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department