If I reply to one message per day in this thread (as I'm constrained to do),
it will continue until 2010. I haven't even read Miychi's missives yet... JD

I wrote:>>But wasn't Earl Browder -- a long-term leader who was quite
popular with the CPUSA's rank and file members -- kicked out of the
leadership of the CPUSA for disagreeing with the Party Line handed down by
Moscow? <<

Charles Brown writes:>On Browder, I was going to use him as an example of
the ability to remove the very top leader in the CPUSA  . He was General
Secretary. <

In most historical interpretations, the top leader of the CPUSA wasn't the
real top leader, since the CPUSA was subordinate to the COMINTERN or
COMINFORM... (Note: I do not believe that the CPUSA was simply a "puppet" of
the USSR. It had to also keep its own rank and file happy and so reflected
their wishes to some extent. When they didn't as with the Hitler/Stalin pact
or the "secret speech" of 1956, they lost members in droves. Though the
organization involved bureaucracy, it was not purely so, because of the role
of the member's "exit" option, and to a lesser extent their votes and
statements of opinion.)

CB:>There was a letter from a French, not Moscow, Communist , named DeClou
(sp.) criticizing Browder's proposal that the CP become an educational
organization rather than a political party. In general, that was termed
liquidationism, liquidating the party...<

Most interpret that letter as a statement of the opinion of the leadership
of the COMINTERN/FORM. That opinion had a very strong impact, indicating the
power of that international, Moscow-centered, organization.

JD