Bureaucracy (speculative rant alert)
by Devine, James
15 April 2002 21:33 UTC

In leftist theory, "democratic centralism" refers to the organization of the
revolutionary political party. The theory says that when a party's
membership decides on a policy (a line, a program) it is binding on members
of that party, including its leadership. Though they may disagree with it at
party forums, they should not do so openly, when non-party people are
around.

^^^^^

CB: By and large, we can be more specific than "leftist theory" , and attribute
"democratic centralism" to Leninist theory.

On the other hand, Lenin's theory of democratic centralism can be generalized beyond
the specific Bolshevik situation as a way of analyzing and organizing the relationship
between the working class masses and its leadership whereever the class struggle is
hot, as in Venezuela.

^^^^^^^^

Though there are likely organizations in Venezuela that are organized in a
"democratic centralist" way, the mass demonstrations in favor of Chavez
don't fit that description unless they are simply as part of a party. It
looks to me instead that there's a lot of "spontaneity" going on. That is,
people were demonstrating in favor of Chavez because they liked him, not
because they belonged to a party-type organization. The Bolivarist
organization did not simply orchestrate the anti-coup movements. (Of course,
if my facts are wrong, I'd like to be told.)

^^^^^^^^

CB: It is highly unlikely that the response of the overwhelming numbers of workers and
of the soldiers who remained loyal to Chavez was essentially spontaneous. It evidenced
a high level of consciousness.  The organization of the Bolivarists in the poor
neighborhoods has been reported  for years before these events. This is most likely
precisely an example of CONSCIOUS , emergency struggle by masses led by a party as
Lenin discusses it in _What is to be done ?_, as opposed to spontaneous struggles such
as rebellions/riots in U.S. cities over the last 40 years, and the consciousness
demonstrated by the workers and soldiers is most likely the result of prior party work
and democratic centralist methods.

BTW, in practice, most "democratic centralist" organizations end up not
being democratic.
The rank and file end up being manipulated by the central
committee or its leader, i.e., end up being passive followers rather than
active, democratic, participants.

^^^^^^^^

CB:  Most ? Do you have stats on this ?This is a  standard anti-democratic centralist
claim and opinion.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine