Binary scheme of democracy and centralism
by Bill Lear
17 April 2002 15:49 UTC

-clip-

As I said, I think the distinction between the terms "hierarchy" and
"totalitarian" is important.  You can have a democratic hierarchy with
those in "higher" positions, for example, being contact points for
information flows, and serving for only a very limited time after
which they rotate back "below" others.  This is not so possible in
corporate America, aside from perhaps instances that are simply at the
level of statistical error.  Orders come from above, as they do in
totalitarian states.  As with any system, there is always a certain
amount of principle/agent problem to be dealt with.  In a totalitarian
society, sometimes people are asked their opinion, sometimes they get
to help run things, but they never rule.  Same thing in a corporate
hierarchy.  One other thing worth mentioning is that corporations are
not merely separate entities interacting through a market.  They are
quite typically diverse, with interlocking directorates.  Furthermore,
they dominate state policy, which has resulted in a profound level of
violence (a "contradiction" if ever there was one).  Ditto for
totalitarian states.

^^^^^^^^

CB: In using your model, I would say that even though there is a partially democratic
hierarchy in the U.S. governments, the totalitarian corporate system rules the U.S.
governments substantially, such that the U.S. system should be termed totalitarian
too.   If we use the totalitarian model, we should include the U.S. as totalitarian,
otherwise there is too much of an implication of democracy in the U.S.system.
Alternatively it might be termed a bourgeois dictatorship.