SEE
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Year 7, Nº 15 / Monday, April 15, 2002

  International trade missions, trade shows and forums
on promoting business opportunities and investment,
continue to be viable official policy options for
conveying relevant data to economic players, with a
view to trying business schemes in any country. Such
activities facilitate the decision making process in
connection with the development of private efforts, as
they bring investors and policymakers, trade financing
entities and country experts, closer together. These
efforts basically reflect the features of the
"investor targeting" technique as pertains to the
investment promotion element. This technique follows a
classification of specific actions for promoting
investment, together with support services for the
establishment and post-establishment of investments,
which are highly valued among investors. In practice,
it is a highly effective policy for attracting
investments to specific industries with a competitive
potential, or to address specific development needs in
every country. Recently CONAPRI gave its support to
and took part in a trade mission to San José (Costa
Rica), in an effort organized jointly by the Foreign
Ministry and BANCOEX. Several Venezuelan entrepreneurs
exchanged views with their Costa Rican colleagues and
explored business opportunities, joint-investments and
direct foreign investment schemes in each country.
This is a highly specific effort that evidences our
strong interaction with public sector entities.

 The NA to investigate the April 11 Events
 Federal Legislative Council to be created
 Armed Forces to see Changes

 Chávez is back after Thursday Events
 CTV to analyze upcoming Union Moves
 OAS: Events in Venezuela not to be repeated

 OPEC advised to increase Production
 Venezuelan Crisis drives Oil Prices up
 Oil Supply guaranteed
 PDVSA Board resigns en Masse
 The VP and PDVSA Senior Managers meet

Trends in Foreign Direct Investment
Accepting an invitation from the Export and Investment
Promotion Corporation of Ecuador (CORPEI), CONAPRI
took part in a regional workshop on Management of
Events for the Tourism Sector on April 9, 10, and 11
in Guayaquil-Ecuador. This report presents some of the
trends in foreign direct investment, along with the
comments on how to attract investments by one of the
key speakers, Arvind Mayaram, director-general of
tourism, art and culture of the Indian state of
Rajasthan and member of the World Association of
Investment Promotion Agencies (WAIPA).

If not interested in this e-publication anymore,
please click on cancel delivery.

--- Charles Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>