Following the deficit debate, I've been hearing about this day
of reckoning for 12 years.  It must be getting really close!

I'd say the key issue in all this is the Bubble.  U.S. assets still
seem to be over-valued.

As for the accounting scandal, it may be that the ingenuity of
Euro and japanese accounting just hasn't seen the light of day
yet.  We can't doubt an equal capacity for chicanery by our
capitalist brethren.  Perhaps it is greater, if we grant that U.S.
capital markets are more honest, relatively speaking, then the
rest.

Bob Eisner used to point out that those holding dollar-denominated
assets who started to bail out ran the risk of taking a bath as the
process continued.  Paul Davidson would reply that on the micro
level, with atomized decision-making, anyone in the midst of such a
wave has a rational reason to try and dump before the next fool, leading
to the big communal bath.

Given the age structure of the U.S. population, with aging Boomers
trying to save after leading our dissolute lives, this ought to prop up
asset values for another ten years or so.  At that point who knows
what shape the world will be in.

mbs

FM: