Fred writes:
> Related to the Business Week article sent to the list last
> Friday by Jim D. on the danger of the US deficit on the current account
and
> increasing foreign debt, below is an article in last Saturday's Financial
Times,
> which concludes that the "day of reckoning" for the dollar
> "is close at hand".
>
> The article emphasizes that the key problem is that it is not
> necessary for foreign investors to sell US assets for the dollar to
> fall.  All that is necessary is that foreign investors cease to buy US
> assets, or buy them at a slower rate.  And it argues that there are good
reasons
> to believe that foreign investors may indeed purchase US assets at a
> slower rate in the coming months:

the day of reckoning always seems to be at hand these days, but (given the
uncertainty of the future) may never happen. If we knew ahead of time when
it would happen, we'd be able to get rich quick. (Of course, if we were rich
now, maybe we could precipitate it if we wanted to.) The fact is that the
inevitable can be postponed. But in the current political economy,
postponement simply to increase the problem in the future.

To be specific, let's consider the three bears (for the US). The baby bear
(as I've called it) is corporate overindebtedness. This has already lead to
a massive slide in business fixed investment, which chased that famous
burglar Goldilocks out of the house in 2001. That depression of investment
doesn't seem to be going away, while Goldie is trying to be avoid being
surrounded in the woods. But the Mama Bear (I think -- I'll have to check my
ursology) is excessive consumer indebtedness. As part of the Fed's and the
government's 2001 bear-baiting, this critter is standing up on her hind
feet, threatening to rip poor Goldilocks from limb to limb. She is being
kept away by abnormally high asset prices, due to the still-overvalued stock
market and the housing bubble (inflated by the Fed's rate cuts during 2001).
I have a hard time believing that this bear will be kept at bay when Papa
Bear comes crashing in. This is the US current account deficit, which is
leading to rising external debt -- and debt service.

I recently compared the US GDP to the GNP. The latter is the same as "gross
national income" and does not include the production that the US does to pay
foreigners for our obligations. It's just recently that the GNP went below
the GDP (it used to be that the US benefited from debt service and the like)
after the GNP/GDP ratio has been falling since 1979. The US is hardly in the
same league as Argentina on this score, but the fabled growth spurt of the
late 1990s was not as good as advertised partly because some of that growth
went to pay debt service or to other flows of income outside the country.
(And there are lots of other reasons, as I'm sure Doug will explain in his
book. For example, as Dean Baker has emphasized, depreciation sped up.)

The rising external debt encourages the dollar to fall in the near future
(if not now as the FT says). It can be delayed, but that simply makes the
external debt and debt service larger. This means that it's more likely that
the dollar will fall _quickly_ when it falls, especially given the dynamic
of speculation. (The hungry Papa Bear is more likely to leap when he's
hungry.) A large fall is more of a stagflationary shock to US economy than
if the authorities were able to find a way to let the air out of the foreign
exchange bubble slowly. And el Maestro Greenspan will have as hard a time as
Arthur Burns did if there's this kind of shock.

JDevine