On 2002.05.28 08:05 AM, "Carrol Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I can't find the or original post you are responding to. And where does
> the Marx quote come from?
>
> Carrol
>
> Sabri Oncu wrote:
>>
>>> reads like Humean instrumentalism to me.............
>>>
>>> Ian
>>
>> That should be your expertise so I make no comments about this.
>> My only concern is with Marx's writing style. I find him very
>> difficult to read. For example, this sentence:
>>
>>> If, therefore, industry is conceived as the exoteric
>>> revelation of man's essential powers, we also gain an
>>> understanding of the human essence of nature or the
>>> natural essence of man.
>>
>> What exactly this sentence says, I am not sure. Maybe, partly
>> because he wrote the original in German and this is a
>> not-so-great translation and partly because to me English is a
>> code I am decoding. Nevertheless, it is a difficulty I have to
>> live with I suppose.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Sabri

Sabri

MIYACHI TATSUO
Psychiatric Department
Komaki municipal hosipital
1-20.JOHBUHSHI
KOMAKI CITY
AICHI PREF.
486-0044
TEL:0568-76-4131
FAX 0568-76-4145
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To understand Marx's term ,beginning with " economic and philosophical
manuscript " may be better. In it Marx writes

The outstanding achievement of Hegel’s Phänomenologie and of its final
outcome, the dialectic of negativity as the moving and generating principle,
is thus first that Hegel conceives the self-creation of man as a process,
conceives objectification as loss of the object, as alienation and as
transcendence of this alienation; that he thus grasps the essence of labour
and comprehends objective man — true, because real man — as the outcome of
man’s own labour. The real, active orientation of man to himself as a
species-being, or his manifestation as a real species-being (i.e., as a
human being), is only possible if he really brings out all his
species-powers — something which in turn is only possible through the
cooperative action of all of mankind, only as the result of history — and
treats these, — powers as objects: and this, to begin with, is again only
possible in the form of estrangement.

We shall now demonstrate in detail Hegel’s one-sidedness — and limitations
as they are displayed in the final chapter of the Phänomenologie, “Absolute
Knowledge” — a chapter which contains the condensed spirit of the
Phänomenologie, the relationship of the Phänomenologie to speculative
dialectic, and also Hegel’s consciousness concerning both and their
relationship to one another.

Let us provisionally say just this much in advance: Hegel’s standpoint is
that of modern political economy. [47] He grasps labour as the essence of
man — as man’s essence which stands the test: he sees only the positive, not
the negative side of labour. Labour is man’s coming-to-be for himself within
alienation, or as alienated man. The only labour which Hegel knows and
recognises is abstractly mental labour. Therefore, that which constitutes
the essence of philosophy — the alienation of man who knows himself, or
alienated science thinking itself - Hegel grasps as its essence; and in
contradistinction to previous philosophy he is therefore able to combine its
separate aspects, and to present his philosophy as the philosophy. What the
other philosophers did — that they grasped separate phases of nature and of
human life as phases of self-consciousness, namely, of human life as phases
of self-consciousness, namely, of abstract self-consciousness — is known to
Hegel as the doings of philosophy. Hence his science is absolute.

 Whenever real, corporeal man, man with his feet firmly on the solid ground,
man exhaling and inhaling all the forces of nature, posits his real,
objective essential powers as alien objects by his externalisation, it is
not the act of positing which is the subject in this process: it is the
subjectivity of objective essential powers, whose action, therefore, must
also be something objective. An objective being acts objectively, and he
would not act objectively if the objective did not reside in the very nature
of his being. He only creates or posits objects, because he is posited by
objects — because at bottom he is nature. In the act of positing, therefore,
this objective being does not fall from his state of “pure activity” into a
creating of the object; on the contrary, his objective product only confirms
his objective activity, his activity as the activity of an objective,
natural being.
Man is directly a natural being. As a natural being and as a living natural
being he is on the one hand endowed with natural powers, vital powers — he
is an active natural being. These forces exist in him as tendencies and
abilities — as instincts. On the other hand, as a natural, corporeal,
sensuous objective being he is a suffering, conditioned and limited
creature, like animals and plants. That is to say, the objects of his
instincts exist outside him, as objects independent of him; yet these
objects are objects that he needs — essential objects, indispensable to the
manifestation and confirmation of his essential powers. To say that man is a
corporeal, living, real, sensuous, objective being full of natural vigour is
to say that he has real, sensuous objects as the object of his being or of
his life, or that he can only express his life in real, sensuous objects. To
be objective, natural and sensuous, and at the same time to have object,
nature and sense outside oneself, or oneself to be object, nature and sense
for a third party, is one and the same thing.>

Hunger is a natural need; it therefore needs a nature outside itself, an
object outside itself, in order to satisfy itself, to be stilled. Hunger is
an acknowledged need of my body for an object existing outside it,
indispensable to its integration and to the expression of its essential
being. The sun is the object of the plant — an indispensable object to it,
confirming its life — just as the plant is an object of the sun, being an
expression of the life-awakening power of the sun, of the sun’s objective
essential power.

A being which does not have its nature outside itself is not a natural
being, and plays no part in the system of nature. A being which has no
object outside itself is not an objective being. A being which is not itself
an object for some third being has no being for its object; i.e., it is not
objectively related. Its being is not objective.

Best regards