It was not my intention to spark a renewed debate on Brenner, though it
would be interesting to have a good discussion on his new book.  Of course,
it would be wrong to ascribe to Solidarity, especially Labor Notes, all of
the views of Brenner - unfortunately.  In any case, I would ask that if
someone on the list - like Justin - says my views are mistaken that they
explain how - instead of just making what amounts to, well, a gratuitous
swipe!

He may have just been referring back to his earlier defense of Solidarity/LN
where he said that they do indeed care about places like Rwanda.  Of course,
any one with a soul "cares" about Rwanda, the point is to understand its
relationship to global capitalism.  That is the virtue and significance of
David Smith's argument which I think shifts the paradigm, so to speak, out
of the focus on the core industrialized countries so crucial to LN and
Brenner but without doing so with typical third worldist, unequal exchange
type thinking.

I think it is clear that a lean production theory sustains the "militant
trade union" core of LN/Solidarity politics and so it is hardly gratuitous
to discuss the link between the two.  Why?  Because it ignores how the law
of value operates at a global level - even in (perhaps particularly harshly
in) remote regions like the hard scrabble Rwandan coffee fincas.
Incorporating the way in which a kind of "primitive accumulation" (defined
as absorbing new value into the system at below reproduction costs) operates
to sustain they global economy seems particularly important.  In doing so,
though, one would then have to discuss what impact that has on the sysiphean
struggle of trade unionism.  The failure to take these two steps is I think
a flaw in Moody's thinking that makes its way into the Post review of Negri
and Hardt's Empire.

As for Bob, I believe that Loren Goldner made some telling comments on the
problems in his earlier NLR essay that I am told have been modified in the
new ms. but I have not seen it yet (except in an early stage draft that I
have not had a chance to look at).  In any case, there was little discussion
in the early ms., if I recall, of the role of the dollar much less
mechanisms like the clash of coffee buyers and producers in central africa
leading to the mass murder of hundreds of thousands.  If the left cannot
develop a critique of political economy that explains such a development in
a coherent way then we have no chance of developing a perspective inside the
labor movement of the industrialized countries that can respond to the
problem and we risk seeing the catastrophic success of new authoritarian
movements in the developing countries.

Stephen F. Diamond
School of Law
Santa Clara University