A couple of thoughts.

1. Value production is unobservable.  What we see are prices.

2. The prices are strongly affected by power/social relationships.  When I
was young, most professional athletes had to take on jobs during the
off-season.  College presidents were paid little more than professors.  We
all know about the corporate president/hourly worker salary differentials.

3. From the very beginning of the coffee fad, powerful nations moved
coffee plants around to lower its price.  What happened in Vietnam was old
hat.  Even Darwin was involved in such genetic theft.

4. Low paid Rawandan farm workers get screwed just like the farm workers
in this country.  Labor is moved around in order to get maximimum
advantage.

6. Human capital explanations seem to have no validity.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321