I said:

> I dearly remember a situation where
> I had to defend a Monte Carlo simulation
> based on three draws. Anyone who knows
> some about Monte Carlo simulations knows
> that you generally need many thousands of
> draws to get any meaningful result.

After I wrote this, I remembered another experience. The very
first paper I published was based on some numerical technique and
after it got published, I discovered a mistake in my program. It
was an unintentional mistake so I was not that much worried. We
all make mistakes.

But I know from my experience with about a dozen numerical papers
that none of my referees reviewed the codes I used to obtain my
results. Now, in many academic areas ranging from numerical fluid
dynamics to econometrics, people produce numerical results and
get them published. Of course, we all expect that some of them
will have mistakes in them, hence there is no problem so far.

On the other hand, over the past few decades, and, particularly
over the past decade, the American academe started to pay huge
amounts of money to its stars. Stars are everywhere from physics
to engineering to economics to what have you. These stars are
under heavy pressure to produce "high quality" work all the time.
On top of that, there is this heavy publication pressure on the
young faculty to get tenure.

How do we know that none of them submit some of their papers with
mistakes that are known to them?

Stakes are high, aren't they?

Sabri