Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

>I meant to supplement his observations by saying that not only the
>developing world gets less FDI than the developed world, even within the
>developing Asia, "Leninist" regimes get the bulk of FDI. Non "Leninist"
>developing nations get very little FDI.

I am glad that Ulhas puts quotes around "Leninist". For most Marxists,
the only evidence of Lenin's thinking in China today is that section of
the emerging new left that urges a return to Maoism or that is in
contact with leftists in the West. As far as Vietnam is concerned, I
recommend Gabriel Kolko's "Vietnam: Anatomy of a Peace."

Vietnam: Anatomy of a Peace
By Gabriel Kolko
Routledge; 190 pp.

Review by Asad Ismi

What should a communist party do when it leads a nation to victory over
the most powerful empire the world has ever known at the cost of three
million lives? Build an equitable society for the survivors, of course.
The Communist Party of Vietnam has not done so as Gabriel Kolko shows in
this excellent analysis of Vietnam's post-war economic strategy. Kolko,
a historian of United States foreign policy, is the author of Vietnam:
Anatomy of a War, considered to be one of the best accounts of the U.S.
invasion of Vietnam.

As the author points out, any path the Communists chose after 1975 would
have been difficult given the enormous destruction the U.S. had wrought
with 13 million tons of bombs and 20 million gallons of herbicide. Much
of Vietnam was destroyed and parts of the north resembled a moonscape.
Considerable critical thought was needed to make the transition from a
wartime to a peacetime economy while preserving the socially supportive
structure that had made the victory possible. This included equitable
land distribution and a rural life (80 percent of Vietnam's population
lives in the countryside) centered around co-operatives which ensured
that villagers (who sacrificed so much for the war effort) received
food, housing, free education, and medical care. It was essential that
the wounds of war be healed by the creation of a humane society which is
what people had fought for.

Instead, the Party's "market reforms," initiated in 1986, embraced the
crudest frontier capitalism: landlords were brought back to the villages
to re-concentrate property and industrial exploiters to the cities to
take advantage of low-wage labor. Free education and medical care were
ended and most Vietnamese were thrust into a brutal economic system in
which they could not even meet their basic needs. Land, wealth, and
social services became increasingly monopolized by an emerging economic
elite mostly drawn from the Party. Ironically, this system promoted the
same values that Washington had militarily tried to force on Vietnam.
Now U.S. economic objectives were being carried out by its international
agents, the World Bank and the IMF (the guiding lights of economic
reform in Vietnam) who hoped to succeed where the Pentagon had failed.
As Kolko puts it, "That an epic war should have been fought so that a
class society may again be re-established is a moral betrayal that
defies description."

full: http://www.zmag.org/zmag/articles/ismimay98.htm

>Imperialism has
>made important contribution to the economic development of China through
>trade (e.g. the access to the US market), FDI etc. Official reports from
>China have suggested that the integration of China in the world market
>contributes about 2% to the annual economic growth of China.

No, trade has made an important contribution to the economic development
of China. The price of trade was the opening up of the economy to
multinationals looking for a place where labor laws were either lax or
nonexistent. Cuba's trade with Europe is not at the expense of working
people's health or safety.

>The logic behind the export of capital is said to be the need to restore the
>profitability of the capital the "Core" so-called, by using super profits
>from the so-called colonies and semi-colonies. (China and Vietnam are the
>most important colonies/semi-colonies of Imperialism in Asia, if this logic
>is
>correct.) This has not been demonstrated, as far as know.

This is too one-sided. The drive to "open up" China and Vietnam to the
west is not solely motivated by the need to make super-profits. There
was a political need as well. In the drive to make the world safe for
capitalist investment, it was necessary to co-opt two countries that had
undergone powerful revolutions so as to drive home the lesson that THERE
IS NO ALTERNATIVE. For some leftists, this has obviously has had a
deeply disorienting effect.

>Yes, I agree. I am not sure there is a coherent Marxist theory of
>Imperialism.

I would choose the most incoherent Marxist theory of imperialism any day
of the week over the warmed-over Thomas Friedmanism that has seeped into
our ranks.

--

Louis Proyect
www.marxmail.org