>It's important to remember that "expertise" is not a one-dimensional
>variable. The practical and concrete knowledge of nurses and physician's
>assistants may be quite different in kind from the more theoretical and
>journal-based knowledge of MDs, so we can't say that the latter have "twice
>as much" expertise as the former (or any other proportion).

I should really make a collection of the set of fallacies taht my
observation that there is expertise to which me have no hoice but to defer
has generated. Yoshie thinks that means that I thinkw e must abandon all
autonomy and hand over to the experts all important decisoions without
review. Michael suggests that this means that experts never need listen to
anyone else. Daniel think it means I am an arrogant asshole. Doug thinks it
means I am committed to the view that experts deserve unreviewable authority
over their own compensation. And now Jim suggests that I think it means that
expertise is a "quantity" that is "commensurable" across areas.

>Speaking of expertise, my computer won't start. It tells me "Non System
>Disk
>or Disk Error. Replace and strike any Key when ready." Not only can't I
>find
>the "any" key (usually the "enter" key will do) but I don't have a
>non-system disk (or any other diskette) in my PC. What can I do?
>Jim

Well, I am not an expert. By my wife, who has worked in IT for many years,
suggests that if you shut down the system and reboot that might help.

jks