Title: RE: [PEN-L:28739] Re: Re: Expertise

JKS: >Shane thinks that most judges are just tools of the capitalist class who do
their bidding. ... Even in the case of Justice Rehnquist, the charge is unfair. He just thinks
along their lines.<

it's a mistake to think in such individualistic terms (a mistake that's usually more common among economists than lawyers or philosophers). Why did scum like Rehnquist rise to the top? the judicial system has a series of selection mechanisms which determine who rises and who doesn't. These mechnanisms reflect the political balance of power and the nature of the property system that meshes best with capitalism. Those jurists who don't fit in don't rise, or even fall (as when a bunch of California supreme court justices were ousted a few years ago for being "too liberal"). Also, the judicial system seems to train people to think like Rehnquist: among other things, if one knows that success in the hierarchy can be more more easily by embracing the dominant ideology, then the incentive to accept that ideology. Those who embrace it most sincerely are rewarded. Those who don't tend to drop out or sink into backwaters.

In other words, it's not Rehnquist who's corrupt (as far as I know -- we'll see when his private papers and the like are revealed) but the legal system, while such a legal system is the only one that's consistent with an exploitative mode of production (unless the working class and other "subaltern" groups can exert countervailing power).

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine