Michael Pollak :
 > On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Ulhas  Joglekar wrote:
>

> > Yes, but there is a viewpoint which attributes the relative backwardness
> > of French industry to the presence of French peasant economy.
>
> I'm not sure I follow.  By 1970 France had certainly reached the point
> every developing country would like to develop to, no?  Namely a rich
> welfare state.  Its alternative agricultural path didn't stop it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant relative backwardness of French industry in
the 19th century. Compared with German industry and agriculture. Even the
picture of capitalism in the 1950s that Sartre paints in his book Comminist
and Peace and elsewhere is not pretty, though not due in this case due to
French agriculture.

Ulhas