>Ulhas, could recommend a good book that describes India's distinctive, and
>recently fairly successful, non-export-led development path?  And perhaps
>as well an intelligent (rather than cookie-cutter ideological) critique of
>the limits of same?
>
>And if anyone else wants to chime in with suggestions I'd be grateful as
>well.
>
>Michael

Frederick Clairmont: Economic liberalism and underdevelopment : studies in
the disintegration of an idea.

Should actually be subtitled studies in the disintegration of India.
Written in 1960 (and still available from amazon.com), it is a study of how
capitalist penetration of India led to backwardness starting with the
British railway system.

Chapter 3
The Indian Dossier
The Rape of India