[I wrote:]

>  >It is a popular bourgeois myth that there is no place for expertise in
>  >politics. Actually, there is room for knowledge, wisdom, a scientific
>  >approach, and expertise everywhere, and certainly in politics.

[In a message dated 7/29/02 9:17:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:]

>  I'm one of those bourgeois liberals--and I mean this dead seriously, I am
>  bourgeois liberal, no irony intended--who regards this notion with horror.
>  The left should have learned by now to flee--as ordinary working people
>  will--from the idea of the Vanguard Party as the expert repository of
>  Political Expertise. It's not a menace any more, as it once was, but it's
>  political suicide to advocate it.

Well, I'm glad we can agree on one thing--you are indeed a bourgeois liberal.
Why you hang out on pen-l is still a mystery to me, however. I think very few
people here regard themselves as "bourgeois liberals". What is your
program--to "wise up" the left??

This business about a "vanguard party" needs to be clarified. By the way, you
forgot to precede the term with "self-proclaimed", as is usually done (and
which I believe you do yourself in another recent posting). And that is
really the crux of the matter, since such proclamations almost always prove
the exact opposite of what they are meant to prove. I.e., real vanguards
don't need to proclaim the fact--they DEMONSTRATE it.

For us Marxists, politics is a matter of class struggle. Serious political
parties exist in order to advance the interests of particular classes, and in
order to lead their class in advancing its interests. Such parties are thus
usually made up of and led by those with a deeper understanding of what is
going on in society, and how it affects the interests of their class. (I.e.,
relative "experts".) As such, ANY political party which ACTUALLY leads its
class and advances its interests is in reality that part of the class which
is "out in front" in representing its interests. In other words, it is a
"vanguard". That is all that the word 'vanguard' was meant to mean--those who
are out in front in leading the rest in a struggle for their collective class
interests.

Thus, in the U.S., there are two vanguard parties of the bourgeoisie, the
Democrats and the Republicans. Sometimes one is the primary vanguard of the
American bourgeoisie, sometimes the other. Most of the time they split the
duties, and--despite surface appearances--mostly cooperate in their vanguard
activities. (When basic class issues arise there is general "bipartisan"
agreement.) There are two bourgeois vanguards in the U.S. because there are
(or at least used to be) some significant secondary differences WITHIN the
bourgeoisie, about where their own interests lie, and about whether to take a
hard line against the masses (the Republicans), or focus more on trying to
appease and fool them (the Democrats).

The working class has never had much of a vanguard party in the U.S., that
is, a party which has actually led significant parts of the proletariat in
struggling for its own interests. During some periods (e.g. the 1930s) the
old CPUSA did make some noticeable progress toward becoming such a party.
None of today's political sects on the left (including the present CPUSA and
the RCPUSA) shows any sign of making any progress toward becoming a real
vanguard of the working class. They all seem to be quite hopeless, stuck in
dogmatism, and wallowing in fantasies about their own "bright prospects".

But does there NEED to be such a party which can really lead the working
class and the poor in this country? A party which can thus really advance the
interests of the workers and the masses against their class enemies? And
since advancing their long-term most fundamental interests means overthrowing
capitalism, a party which can lead the people in a revolutionary direction?
Of course there does. Every country needs such a party. And when such a party
has come into being here, and is actually leading a major part of the masses
in struggle, it will in fact be a vanguard party--though it will not be
necessary to proclaim this.

Those who pooh-pooh "vanguard parties" are correct to do so if they are
simply talking about the minuscule sects that currently proclaim themselves
as "the real vanguard", and such. But these "pooh-poohers" are siding with
the enemy against the people to the extent that they oppose the working class
and the masses having their own party to advance their collective interests.
Because there is this ambiguity, it is wrong to simply attack the idea of a
vanguard party, even though the current dogmatic sects do tend to make the
idea of a vanguard seem quite ridiculous.

A new revolutionary political party for the working class and masses in this
country is needed just because none of the present sects seem to be able to
demonstrate to the masses that they are actually working in the people's
interests. They don't know how to go about it (because they are ignorant of
the mass line and so forth).

But of course any new revolutionary party will itself have to start small. At
first it will inevitably appear to many to be just another sect. But the
difference is that instead of simply proclaiming itself as "the vanguard" it
will actually use the already-discovered methods which might allow it to
eventually BECOME a serious vanguard. It may be that at first such a group
will not even call itself a "party". And of necessity it will have to avoid
the almost compulsive sectarianism and even cultism that "leftist" groups are
prone too. But if the working class in this country, and the poor and other
allies of the working class, are ever to have their own party, we must start
somewhere.

It is also true that objective conditions for a mass revolutionary party do
not exist in the U.S. at present. Actually, they have never existed here up
to now, and it will be a long time until they do. This is because of the
embourgeoisment of a large section of the proletariat itself, and the spoils
of imperialism. That is why we can't possibly have a revolution in this
country any time soon. But the fact remains that a party which actually
represents both the short-term and long-term interests of the masses can
exist here now, and if it functions properly, and uses the mass line, it will
grow in influence. For now, that is all that our class can do. But
imperialism will not last forever.

Of course I don't expect that any of this will make sense to you, Justin,
because--as you say--you are a bourgeois liberal. But as long as bourgeois
liberals are polluting other people's minds, it is necessary to combat their
bourgeois views.

--Scott Harrison