Title: RE: [PEN-L:28913] Expertise and Vanguard Parties

moi:>there are two main types of liberalism:

>(1) Manchester, classical, or "neo" liberalism, which embraces
>_laissez-faire_; and
>
>(2) New Deal, Keynesian, or modern liberalism, which embraces the state as
>the solution to capitalism's various problems. (Most social democracy fits
>here, BTW.)

Justin:>These are economic liberalisms. I'm a political liberal, like Mill and
Rawls.<

please explain.

In any event, the distinction between "political" and "economic" is bogus and seems inappropriate to a political economy discussion list. One of the best things that Bowles & Gintis did was to rejigger these terms. They explain how an "economic" "site" in society (such as production) can involve "political" practices (cooperation or conflict), while a "political" site (the state) can involve "economic" practices (as is obvious).

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine