I hope Bloom wasn't suggesting MDs should be reserved as a mark of
"scholarly acheivement." Last Thursday, an orthopaedic surgeon set the bones
in my sons broken arm and did a mighty fine job. I couldn't care less if the
good Dr. never published in a peer reviewed journal. Also, I once took an
undergraduated commerce course that opened my eyes to the unspoken class
bias in the canons of sociology, anthropology and political science. It all
became much clearer. As for the MBA boom itself, it was the
academic/intellectual equivalent of Enron or WorldCom -- the bottom line
looked impressive because the thing was specifically designed to create that
appearance. There is, of course, no academic equivalent of the S.E.C. to
pursue intellectual fraud.

"Here's a writer I don't often quote with approval: ".a great disaster has
occurred. It is the establishment during the last decade or so of the MBA
as the moral equivalent of the MD or the law degree, meaning a way of
insuring a lucrative living by the mere fact of a diploma that is not the
mark of scholarly achievement.the prebusiness economics major, who not only
does not take an interest in sociology, anthropology or political science
but is also persuaded that what he is learning can handle all that belongs
to those studies. Moreover, he is not motivated by the love of the science
of economics but by love of what it is concerned with-money."

"This is from Allan Bloom's The Closing of the American Mind, which shot up
the bestseller list in the 1980s. Bloom goes on to say that prospective MBA
students have "blinders" put on them. Now, why is it that all of Bloom's
paranoid passages about the effects of 60s radicals and shallow
multiculturalism on the university are quoted by William Bennett yet not
the passage above?

"Bloom was right about the MBA student. Anyone who attended an American
university in the 80s or 90s can remember those smug fellows who dreamed of
the riches derived from a Wharton or Harvard MBA. (The role model was
Donald Trump with his degree from the Wharton School of Finance.) Who can
forget their superior attitude toward their fellow students who were
wasting their time in the humanities department?

"By the way, George W. Bush is the first president with an MBA."

Tom Walker
604 255 4812

  • MBA's Louis Proyect
    • Tom Walker