I have been thinking about the horrendous cost of the U.S. support for
Israel.

H. Kissinger in an answer to why so much financial support for Israel replied "it costs less than maintaining the sixth fleet in the Mediterranean"

Does anybody believe that Israel would exist except for the
Nazis?

with the benefit of hindsight it is really a wonder why the Arabs exist. and if one adds to that in modern times one needs a state to exist, (I do not adhere to this  view) then the Arab failed states would only represent what an ahistorical people the Arabs are. two things are certain if it were not for nazism or European capitalism Israel would not exist and two it is the Arabs that were thrown to the sea and more so, given the balance of forces will continue to be thrown to the sea for some time to come.

 In effect, the Middle East Holocaust is a continuation of the
original one.

will the holocaust end?

In a book about the life of Jews in 19 century Damascus (well written with actual records) it seems on the whole in that stable division of labour things ran smoothly. in fact in the local culture there were no pejorative uses of the term jew as there was in europe. it is ironic however, how the jews that were the victims of  capital in europe tend to be the gendarme of capital the middle east. someone referred to this as the prison guard mentality "if you are paid by the master you torture on his behalf". By the way Dr Israel the head of the human rights body in israel thinks that this is so becaus! e only 10 to 15 percent in israel lost immediate relatives in the holocaust.

and according to some who just came from israel the hate level became strong recently and that is quite worrisome according to her article.

although there were peace treaties between jordan egypt and israel trade between these economies is very very small (excluding oil from Sinai). It seems because of the structure and prefereed status of Israeli exports in the west- it is only geographically in middle east but economically in europe. However, once Harry magdoff said to me in correspondence that Israel could even export weapons to the arab regimes so long as it could be politically engineered for it to remain the gendarme.

Will it end? I think it has to end in the US first or what has to end is imperialism.

I assume all sorts of unimaginable consequences will flow out of the
attempt to remake the Middle East. I wonder if anyone in power gives any
thought whatsoever to long-term consequences.

Indeed a culture of fatalism is developing and gaining momentum. It is often said that Islam has a better relationship with death than it does with life. The culture of suicide bombers is spreading quickly and the Islamic clergy seem to be cozy with an idea that sort fits neatly in the ethos of arab society.

We are already in the long term, as for the longer term we will be all dead.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321