I don't understand this "graceful accomodation" line. I haven't
found any
mea culpas or apologies from Thurmond. His having hired an
African
American aide isn't particularly telling (segregationists were
always
perfectly happy to employ black subordinates; and if the stories
about
Thurmond are true, his brand of racism was perfectly consonant
with sexual
intimacy with blacks), nor is the fact that he took till 1982 to
vote for
a civil rights bill.

When did this accomodation take root? Was it sudden or gradual?
How is it
to be distinguished from Thurmond simply learning a new
vocabulary with
which to preserve as far as possible the racially unjust status
quo?

I've spent a good deal of time looking for a copy of Thurmond's
1948
acceptance speech; it doesn't appear on the web anywhere, near as
I can
tell, nor is it Vital Speeches of the Day or in other reference
works.

I finally had Clemson University's "Strom Thurmond Institute"
(gag!) fax
me a copy from their special collections area. I'd like to get a
better
feel for what Trent Lott is waxing nostalgic for -- the States
Rights
Party platform of 1948 (on SmokingGun.com) was singularly opposed
integration and interested in nothing else.

Kendall Clark, Editor, http://www.whiteprivilege.com/

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department