But shouldn't living standards be determined by
what people contribute?  And shouldn't people who
contribute more get more?  Rather than being
penalized for their hard work and success?

Look, my students are mostly liberal-democrats in
their political sympathies and mostly middle to
lower-middle class in socio-economic status.  And
when I ask them to do a debate on progressive
taxation they cannot defend it.  The anti-side always
wins, hands down.  The idea that people who are
more able to pay should pay is connected to the
idea that those more able to pay have more than
they should have anyway.  And this is not an
idea Americans have an easy time articulating or
even formulating.  What is a luxury but what everybody
covets?  And why should those who do get some
have to give anything up to others?

Ellen

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Taxes should be based on ability to pay,
aside from the payroll tax, which is a
contribution towards insurance benefits.

The alternative is taxes NOT based on the
ability to pay.  Try defending that one.

mbs