Actually I'm trying to write copy for the Heritage foundation and
finally make some real money!

The I might make it too someday element is pretty weak
with my students.  As I say, they tend to be left-liberal, but
not politically engaged and lack confidence in their views.
There's another psychological element.  Once I said something
to a neighbor of  mine -- a day care provider married to a carpenter
who really struggled to keep a foothold in the middle-class -- about
people having  too much money -- something like that, I can't recall
exactly what was said.  But I do recall her reaction.  She was
surprised that I  would express such a view. She said that she often
felt that way,  but never said so because she assumed that others would
then
see her as envious.  She said that she always worried that she
was, in fact, just envious.

All that stuff about not fomenting class conflict and class envy
really impacts people.

Ellen