----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Henwood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 3:57 PM
Subject: [PEN-L:33730] Re: RE: Re: RE: Rates of Profit: Recent Estimates

> Devine, James wrote:
>
> >it's possible to get disaggregated figures and get rid of the
> >software component.
>
> Why would you want to do that? Software is part of the capital stock,
> isn't it? And adding machine, a linotype machine, and a typewriter
> would be part of the capital stock; software lets a general-purpose
> computer do all those things better than the originals. Is it the
> noncorporeality that's the problem?
>
> Doug

"We pre-suppose labour in a form that stamps it as exclusively human. A
spider conducts operations that resemble those of a weaver, and a bee
puts to shame many an architect in the construction of her cells. But
what distinguishes the worst architect from the best of bees is this,
that the architect raises his structure in imagination before he erects
it in reality. At the end of every labour-process, we get a result that
already existed in the imagination of the labourer at its commencement."

http://growthconf.ec.unipi.it/papers/Steedman1.pdf

Ian