Paul wrote:

> In today's world, the high's and lows are just more
> reduced (for those who live in the core countries).

I don't know how significant the correlation is between the
interest and profit rates and how related their volatilies are
but in 1997 I ran a statistical study on the US interest rates
from 1980 to 1997. Basically, I took a number of key US rates,
like the 2 and 10 years rates and ran an I-GARCH as part of a
larger project. Volatilies almost monotonically came down in this
period. On the other hand, my intuition (unbelievable, I used
that bloody word that I hate) tells me that stock return
volatilies increased from earlier periods.

Best,
Sabri