--- "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> it's irony, but basic principles of ethics, if the
> Supremes are to void AA
> to advance racial and/or gender equality, then AA
> should be abolished for
> athletes and alumni children, too. . . .
>
> Of course, the law doesn't reflect ethics but
> instead the current balance of
> economic and political power, along with precedent
> (which reflects the
> balance of economic and political power in the
> past).

Well, yes, but you wouldn't want the law to reflect
"ethics," namely, the moral preferences of the judges
deciding the cases, would you? I mean, that's part of
the problem here. The moral questions are supposed to
be decided by the legislature, in a constitutional
case, by the ratifying process. That gives us law,
which the judges are supposed to interpret regardless
of their moral preferences. However, we have an S.Ct
that fiunds aff action morally offensive,a nd is
overriding the law to impose its moral views on the
law. In general, a comparatively morality-free process
of judicial interpretation is a good thing, not a
problem with law.

In the concrete case, it's not obviosu to me that
nonracial preferences are anywhere nearly as
problematic as racial ones, given our bad history and
present of race relations. I think aff action can be
justified, but anyone who doesn't see that it is at
least somewhat problematic, taht it needs to be
justified, isn't seeing straight.  Legacy aff action
is obnoxious partly because, given the history, the
legacy admits are more likely to be white. Athletic
aff action doesn't strike me as problematic at all.

jks