IBM was accused of requiring its customers of buying its punch
cards -- which were the way of entering data into a computer a
generation ago.  Monsanto requires people who purchase its seeds
to use its herbicide, Roundup, which we discussed last week.  Why
is that not a tie-in?  Maybe because the company claims to "rent"
its seeds.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department