Top Financial News

02/06 00:22
Venezuela Fixes Bolivar 17 Percent Stronger (Update1)
By Alex Kennedy

Caracas, Feb. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Venezuela fixed the bolivar at a
rate 17 percent stronger than it last traded to protect foreign
currency reserves after a two-month national strike crippled the
economy and spurred demand for dollars.

President Hugo Chavez said the bolivar will be set at 1,598 to
the dollar, 13 percent weaker from the end of last year. The
central bank will limit sales of the U.S. currency and payments
for dollar debt and imports of food and medicine will have
priority, he said.

"We are willing to do anything to defend our reserves and
economic stability from speculative attacks and capital flight,"
Chavez said in a speech on national television. A two-week ban on
currency trading also will end, he said.

The currency restrictions may force many Venezuelan trading
companies out of business, spur corruption and fuel demand for
the U.S. currency on the black market, where dollars already are
selling for about 2,500 bolivars, analysts said.

Samsung Electronic Co., the world's largest maker of computer
memory chips, said its Venezuelan distributors had halted orders
ahead of the expected currency limits, while Siderurgica
Venezolana Sivensa, the nation's second-largest steelmaker, said
it was concerned the government will seize its export revenue and
make it more difficult to meet payments on more than $200 million
of foreign currency debt.

The strike, which was aimed at deposing Chavez and collapsed this
week, already had throttled most business activity in the country
and prompted some analysts to forecast the economy may contract
as much as 25 percent this year.

With the added currency restrictions, "we are going to see a
country going into paralysis," said Carlos Fernandez, who heads
the country's largest business organization.

Chavez also said Venezuela has boosted oil output to 1.9 million
barrels a day from 150,000 barrels a day in December, Chavez
said.

The country produced about 3.2 million barrels a day before a
62-day strike began Dec. 2.