How I lost $8bn, by Ted Turner

Mouth of the south goes public on the merger that wiped out a fortune, the day
he spanked his father and his most embarrassing gaffe

David Teather in New York
Thursday February 6, 2003
The Guardian

Ted Turner, the maverick media tycoon, last night suggested an epitaph for his
tombstone. "I have nothing more to say." Until then, he clearly still has
plenty. The founder of CNN, who last week resigned as vice chairman of AOL
Time Warner, the world's largest media company, gave an interview to the CBS
television programme 60 Minutes II, that would have rattled the nerves of his
former colleagues.

In comments that occasionally touched on the bizarre, he complained of losing
up to $8bn because of the disastrous merger of America Online with Time
Warner, opposed the merger of CNN and ABC News, and spoke of the time he
spanked his father.

He also attempted to explain away the gaffe that caused uproar in the US when
he described the hijackers of September 11 as "brave". The interview was taped
in mid-December but updated to take account of Mr Turner's decision to quit
last week.

Mr Turner has been described variously as a "loose cannon" and the "mouth of
the south" - politely as "unpredictable". His departure as vice chairman
triggered justifiable fears among senior AOL Time Warner executives that he
would now be free to say whatever he likes. Bitter at his treatment in the
post merger of AOL Time Warner and the devastation to his fortune, Mr Turner
could prove to be a thorn in the side of chief executive Richard Parsons. As
the company's biggest individual shareholder and one of the most colourful
figures in the industry his comments are guaranteed publicity.

Downside

In the interview Mr Turner marks his first public opposition to the proposals
first announced last year to merge CNN with the news operation of Disney-owned
ABC. He said he could see some benefits from the deal but suggested the
potential for "downside" was too great.

"Just merging the two organisations has a lot of challenges," he said. "The
potential pitfalls and opportunities for disagreements exceed whatever
benefits would be gained."

The comments appear another nail in the coffin for the deal, which AOL Time
Warner chief executive Richard Parsons said in December had "hit a pause"
because of the complexity of merging the operations. With other more pressing
problems facing the group, the deal has been put on the back burner. There has
been some speculation that Mr Turner could make an attempt to buy CNN back
from AOL Time Warner, at a time when the media operation is eager to realise
cash and pay down some of its debts.

CNN has not of late been a star in the AOL Time Warner portfolio and is losing
viewers to Rupert Murdoch's Fox News.

Mr Turner said his fortune had been destroyed by the poor performance of the
AOL Time Warner share price and that he simply couldn't afford it. "From the
[share price] high to the low, [I lost] seven or eight billion [dollars]".

Mr Turner admitted that he had not chosen his words wisely when he described
the terrorists who destroyed the World Trade Centre in New York as brave
during a speech to students in Rhode Island. "Brave was a bad word," he said.

In an attempt to explain the comments he delved into his own personal history.
"My father committed suicide and he was not a coward. He was very brave when
he shot himself, in my opinion, so that's why, to a degree, I said that."

Spanking

He went on to describe the relationship he had with his father: "I don't think
my father was abusive - my father was a strict disciplinarian but he and I
were extremely close." But his father used to beat him with a wire coat
hanger. "He made me spank him one night and that was very, very hard. It was
much easier to be spanked than to spank your father."

Mr Turner, 64, said he was quitting AOL Time Warner to devote more time to his
charitable pursuits. He is a philanthropist on a huge scale. Although
admitting that he had been "crushed" by the change in his financial fortunes,
he recently insisted that he will see through his promise to donate $1bn to
the United Nations. He has already released $500m and aims to give the balance
over the next decade.

His departure followed a tumultuous couple of years in his business and
private lives. He has complained of being marginalised after the merger of
America Online and Time Warner that was completed a little more than two years
ago and said that he had been effectively "fired" by fax. He called the
vice-chairman's job "a title without a portfolio, like the emperor of Japan."
During the same period his marriage to the actress Jane Fonda ended in
divorce.

Still, the departure of AOL Time Warner chairman Steve Case, the last vestige
of the old America Online management, had been seen as a sign that the climate
at the company might suit Mr Turner better.

It remains unclear whether Mr Turner will stay on the group's board as a
non-executive director - he said he will make a decision ahead of the
company's annual meeting in May. In his resignation letter, he praised Mr
Parsons, who took over the top job at AOL Time Warner in the middle of last
year. Mr Parsons in turn reached out to Mr Turner after becoming chief
executive and attempted to bring him back into the fold. Last night's
interview provided evidence enough of why he might want him to keep him there.