I don't think anyone argues that no taxes are necessary? No taxes would
mean no currency, because taxes create the demand for money (see Wray's
book, etc.).

I do subscribe to the Lerner functional finance view that all that
matters are the *effects* of any particular relation between G and T,
that deficits can be too big, but they can also be too small, and that
the purposes of taxes and bond sales are different from the 'financing'
function under a gold standard or a currency board or dollar peg or the
like.

I truly think that the authors of that statement are taking advantage of
some common misguided fears of deficits and the debt to try to sell
their argument, and that besides being untruthful (though some of the
signers probably believe it), can backfire when the times call for
larger deficits and a growing debt. I also subscribe to the Eisner view
that "for every buyer there is a seller, for every debtor there is a
creditor" and that the government deficit shows up on the other side of
the balance sheet as a private sector surplus (given the trade balance),
so that if you want to decrease the deficit you are going to have to
live with a lower private sector surplus and if you want to run surplus
and pay down the debt you are going to have to live with a private
sector deficit and smaller national wealth.

I no nothing more on the Mosler tax thing than what was in the one
article I saw and nothing has changed here at UMKC.

Mat