Doug - The person you are talking about either does not understand the
Wray/Bell argument or is subscribing to some other view, such as that of
John Gelles (there is a New School grad student who does fit this
latter, btw).  You will not find the argument that no taxes are
necessary or that the government should just print money to pay its
expenses in anything by Wray, Bell, or Mosler for that matter.

When I said no taxes, no currency, I thought it would be understood that
I meant state fiat currency. It was not an historical argument, although
there are historical cases of new currencies being introduced through
public receivability (requirement that tax obligations be settled in
gov't currency), it was intended to make the point that public
receivability is an important component of the demand for government
fiat currency.  Again, I have never read in anything by Wray et al that
says no taxes are necessary, in fact quite the opposite.

I also agree that there are important political issues involved.  But
modern governments (operating with a fiat currency and flexible exchange
rates) are not constrained in their spending by purely financial
constraints.

My point about the Economists' statement is that the notions that any
stimulus package should provide only a temporary boost; that investment
incentives should be temporary; and that tax cuts must be
revenue-neutral, seriously misunderstands our present economic
situation.  All these are found in the statement. I have serious
reservations about the Bush tax cut proposal, but I also have serious
reservations about the Economists' statement.  One may disagree with me,
as obviously many have (although I get the feeling some may have just
signed on without really thinking it through--"oh, here's a petition
against Bush, let's sign it"), but I see nothing outrageous or cranky
(in the monetary sense) about my position.

Mat