Seth Sandronsky wrote:

> I just returned home from the anti-war rally at the state Capitol.  An
> estimated 5,000 people attended.

an update from nyc before i return to my beer: i just got back from the
city. we had a great turnout! organizers estimate greater than 200,000
(police of course say 100,000). we stretched out to 20 blocks, herded
into pens between streets using barricades, across 1st, 2nd and 3rd
avenues. it was quite cold and the police had created various barriers
preventing people from getting to 1st ave (the venue of the rally), but
despite these, the attendance was huge and the even peaceful. the fact
that this is a coalition of loose friends was brought to the forefront
in some instances: the various appeals to faith and religion for
instance seemed to exclude atheists such as myself. desmond tutu not
only urged us to say "no to war" etc but also "no to communism"
(whatever that means in his book). but all that is detail. right now, i
am still enjoying the fact that perhaps for the first time in my life in
the united states, i was in the majority!

        --ravi