Title: RE: psychoanalysis

[was:  Skewering stilted language and theory: F. Crews]

Carrol writes: > Actually, psychoanalysis has virtually disappeared from psychiatry and serious neuro-science. It survives only in literary criticism and among those marxists Timpanaro described as believing the "Freud never made a mistake." ...<

Not knowing what we were doing, we sent my son (who has Asperger's syndrome and ADD) to a psychoanalyst for awhile (luckily paid for by the state of California). The shrink believed in Bruno Bettelheim's discredited theory that autism (of which Asperger's is a variant) is a result of the "refrigerator Mom" (not enough attention to the kid). Not only that, but he seem to have encouraged my son's tendency toward psychosis (which has luckily been since counteracted by other professionals). Further, he wanted to start seeing my son 4 times a week!

I used to think that Freudian psychoanalysis played the progressive role of redistributing income from the neurotic rich with lots of time to those with advanced academic degrees, but this role has been totally eclipsed for me.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine