Title: RE: [PEN-L] Falsifiability and the law of value

Drewk, thanks for the references and the useful critique of C&C, Ochoa _et al_. I'll have to look at your paper. As mentioned, for me the law of value involves not only some correspondence between relative values and relative prices -- expecially on the aggregate level -- but also deviations (so that people inside the system don't see how capitalism is actually working). So if it turned out that there was perfect correlation between values and prices, it would be a strike against Marx's LOV.

As for your macro-correlation between "multifactor productivity" and the CPI, I have some questions:

1. for Marx's LOV, shouldn't it be labor productivity that affects prices, not the multifactor productivity?

(In my opinion, MFP is a bogus concept. It's based on adding apples (labor-power hired) and oranges (means of production) using weights that assume that each factor is paid its marginal product.)

2. isn't it commonplace for economists to say that productivity increases lead to price falls, cet. par.?

3. how did you deal with the fact that most time series tend to be highly correlated with each other even when causation is absent?

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine