Doug Henwood wrote:

"1) Would bourgeois economists disagree that higher productivity
means lower prices? That's Wall Street common sense for sure;
what about the higher economics?"

Yes, it's the common sense on the Street and at the Fed.  I think
most everyone would actually agree, but there's an implication of
this relationship that they run away from like the plague.  If
increases in productivity imply falling prices, ceteris paribus,
and if falling prices imply falling profit rates, ceteris paribus
(which they do), then ....

High theory always or almost always circumvents the
productivity-price linkage by construction.  The high theorists
use numéraires, or value inputs and outputs simultaneously.  In
the former case, the numéraire's "prices" cannot change due to
anything.  In the latter case, no "price" can change between time
of input and time of output.

"2) Why have prices increased over the long term despite
constant increases in productivity?"

Ceteris has not been paribus.  I suspect that the main factor is
excessive credit expansion, fueled in part by central bank policy
and deficit financing.  The tendency for the rate of profit to
fall has been displaced; rather than crises that take the form of
falling prices and/or output levels, we often have debt and fiscal
crises.

"3) Why do value theorists find it harder to agree among
themselves than do bourgeois economists?"

It has to do with the sociology of knowledge production.  If one
is a careerist, conformity is generally the ticket to success.
Most mainstream economists don't really believe in what they say
or write.  They go with the flow.  Plus, especially in economics,
conformity is enforced, forcibly, in all kinds of ways --
journals' selection criteria, hiring criteria, journal rankings,
reconfiguring of departments (as in the Notre Dame case), etc.

The lack of agreement among "value theorists" is a reflection of
sharp political divisions (e.g., Stalinism, social democracy,
liberatory Marxism), sharp philosophical divisions (much of
"Marxian economics" has been a long effort to re-do Marx without
the Hegel), sharp divisions between those with
careeerist-professionalist orientations and others, etc.  Raya
Dunayevskaya characterized our age as the age of
counter-revolution within the revolution.  This is reflected in
the theoretical realm as well.

It is partly because we *do* believe in what we say and write, and
partly because none of the camps any longer have the kind of
material resources that are needed to enforce conformity, that the
divisions are sharp.

Andrew Kliman