While it's true that abstract concepts such as mercantilism can "give a false unity to
disparate events, to conceal the close up reality of  particular times and particular
circumstances..." that doesn't mean that the use of such concepts _always and
everywhere_ leads to such confusion, excessive abstraction, or reification. We
shouldn't give in to the abstract drive to reject abstractions.

We could see mercantilism as summarizing the shared characteristics of heterogeneous
empirical phenomena -- while also noting the differences amongst the phenomena. Though
we may need a long book like that of Hechscher to talk about mercantilism in all its
variety, we could also learn something from the abstract summary at the beginning or
end of that book. And leaving out those summaries -- in a vain effort ot avoid
abstraction or reification -- would simply leave us with a bunch of disparate "facts"
(a buzzing, blooming confusion) on which we'd impose our own pre-conceived theories
rather than benefiting from the deductions of the author (with which we could agree or
disagree).

BTW, if I remember Heckscher's analysis correctly, he saw mercantilism as the economic
side of absolutism, i.e., the effort by small feudal lords to unite bigger territories
under their rule, to become kings running unified states. It didn't simply involve the
violation of the canons of free trade theory as Smithians suggest (since trade was
hardly "free" before mercantilism). In fact, it involved the breaking down of trade
barriers (and such things as tax farming) _within_ the king's territory.  It's a
little like the creation of the European Common Market (or other trade blocs), which
not only freed trade within its bounds but also raised the effective trade barriers
vis-a-vis the non-ECM.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine