----- Original Message -----
From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

While it's true that abstract concepts such as mercantilism can "give a
false unity to disparate events, to conceal the close up reality of
particular times and particular circumstances..." that doesn't mean that
the use of such concepts _always and everywhere_ leads to such confusion,
excessive abstraction, or reification. We shouldn't give in to the
abstract drive to reject abstractions.

My guess is that Cole was attempting to assert that we shouldn't say that
those policymakers/powerholders from the 16-early 18th centuries saw
themselves as mercantilists pursuing mercantilist policies.

Ian