Doug Henwood wrote:

> But what's a small country with a tiny internal market and little
> external finance to do? I don't know the answer, but it seems a lot
> of leftists don't appreciate the difficulty of the question.

Such a small country faces two risks, one certain, the other only highly
probable.

The certainty is that if it accepts U.S. aid and goes for export-led
growth. If it does not aim primarily at self-subsistence at whatever
level, with external relations marginal and parenthetical -- it faces
certain misery.

The other alternative, of attempting some version of self-sufficiency
(modified carefully) probably will fail and the population will be
miserable. (Though they will be less apt to have to live in fear of
death squads.) I think a possibility, even if the odds are
overwhelmingly against one, is rather better than the certainty of
defeat and misery.

There are few if any guarantees in this world. The nearest I know to a
guarantee is that ties with the U.S. lead to catastrophe.

Carrol