Hello All,
James Devine wrote,

for what it's worth, Jurriaan is new to pen-l and posts a lot of stuff that
seems new to me. And then some complain that he posts too much!
Jim

Doyle
I agree with this point, but I would like to dilate on this also.  For
Michael, how much people post may be directly related to how much the list
costs, so I am not asking for someone to bear a greater burden for the
personal opinions and thoughts of individuals.  Second to this Carrol tends
to observe what is readable, so if a posting is two web pages long it is
about readable but something longer is not.  This has some merit in my view
given the form.  However, I believe there are other issues also affecting
this discussion.

If one looks at the business world collaboration applications are a major
part of the business climate.  From Instant Messaging to the more complex
Content Management Systems (CMS) a major component of working groups is the
organization of the content and making of documents that are done by more
than person.

It is dead obvious that two web pages is not adequate to express much
content.  On the other hand non of us wants to read only book length tomes
on the web.  It seems to me that these are worthy areas for Marxists, and
leftist who were previously known as Marxists but call themselves something
else.

I'll make some points that I think are relevant as well from my own
perspective.  The web is a medium in which access to people with
disabilities is possible and a part of the technical debate about the web.
So a text based list is about as accessible as anything one encounters on
the web.  That makes it pretty democratic in some senses.  But not for those
with cognitive disabilities.  They may require more visual based solutions
to content.

Secondly from my point of view, most of the time individuals write these
things.  We just have the most impoverished view of working together by
seeing individuals writing by themselves to produce something for these
lists.  Instead what the collaboration 'is' is the debate about which
underlies Carrol's and Michael's observations.  Individual voices are
guaranteed to emphasize the divisions.  Contrarily, many thoughts can be
shared and built together which email lists obscure.  For example, if I shot
many photographs in a major peace demonstration, my pictures will hardly be
different than anyone else's.  So If we combined the best from many people
we'll have a wonderful collaborative work but not any sense of the
individual voice.  Individual voices are important because experience gives
'some' people a deeper insight in making pictures and so forth.  And that is
what a list serves to provide many voices, but many projects really require
a variety of persons contributing to be truly powerful.  For example to
write adequately about racism really requires having more voices than
Caucasian men can bring to the issue.

One cannot answer on a text based list certain sorts of questions.  For
example the use of images on a web site is much more useful than to paste
images into an email.  The form of email lists simply doesn't allow more
ambition toward making images.  Primarily in terms of bandwidth issues.

Finally file size and productivity are related to how much images are used.
One can get by fairly well with 35kb pictures posted to a web site.  But an
email is often far smaller file, mainly due to brevity of expression.  A
hundred images is viewable in a matter of seconds but according to a 35kb
standard text is over 3mb in size reads like a major chore at 3mega bytes of
file.  So text based lists in some ways hover in the nineteenth century when
journals were text and images were an extreme luxury.  The communal nature
of thinking processes is not well served by email lists.  But email lists do
encourage global conversation and should not be discouraged until the higher
production bandwidth and collaborative tools to reach more ambitious goals
are widely available.
Doyle