The fact is that American workers (some of whom think
of themselves as 'middle class') *should* be wealthier
than they are because they are so much more productive
now than they have ever been. But the wages-system
prevents that from occuring and we all simply must
kowtow to the wages-system because it is the best of
all possible worlds.

By wealthier, I don't mean trinket-wealthier e.g.
shiney new SUVs to transport individual wage-slavers
in comfort through the traffic jams to their points of
production or paying more for safer, better islands of
education in a cesspool of 'free' market choices.
They should be wealthier in the sense that they should
have more *time* for themeselves, their families and
their friends and be devoting less time to the mostly
meanlingless, money grubbing tasks that the employing
class have them doing.  Imagine what a four hour day
would do in terms of quality time for their
kids--including caring, help with school work.

Commdification has made consciousness cheap along with
everything else, most especially, our lives.

Regards,
Mike B)

--- "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> September 4, 2003/New York TIMES
> ECONOMIC SCENE
> The No-Frills Middle Class
> By JEFF MADRICK
>
> THE booming economy of the 1990's spawned many a
> spurious piece of
> conventional wisdom. One is that Americans'
> materialism has run amok.
>
> Americans from all walks of life, the story goes,
> are spending with
> abandon on fancy and unnecessary products. Many
> people on the political
> right welcome this as evidence of how high the
> standard of living really
> is in the United States, despite slow-growing wages
> for three decades.
> Some on the left claim the indulgent materialism is
> using up the
> economy's resources while serious social problems
> are left unsolved.
>
> Similarly, many economists argue that "affluenza"
> has pushed too many
> Americans deeply into debt and produced a savings
> rate too low to
> sustain prosperity without the piling up of
> mountains of foreign debt.
>
> There is little doubt that some Americans are
> spending ostentatiously.
> But this Labor Day week it is appropriate to debunk
> the
> oversimplification. As Elizabeth Warren and Amelia
> Warren Tyagi
> convincingly claim, most Americans do not fit the
> bill. What is driving
> Americans into debt, they argue, is not superficial
> luxury spending but
> necessities.
>
> If they perhaps push the point too far in their new
> book, "The
> Two-Income Trap" (Basic Books), they provide a
> clear-eyed correction to
> the myth of far-flung affluence.
>
> The fact is that it is not only the poor and working
> poor who are not
> faring well in America. Many of those in the middle,
> especially
> two-income families, are having trouble making ends
> meet, despite the
> boom of the 1990's.
>
> Part of the distortion about where American working
> families stand today
> is that we tend to think of a standard of living as
> measured in the
> physical goods we own. The conservative analysts W.
> Michael Cox and
> Richard Alm, in their 1999 book "Myths of Rich and
> Poor," asserted that
> Americans were buying a lot more goods like Gap
> clothes, Nike sneakers
> and VCR's, and the standard of living was improving
> faster than the data
> suggested. But the book conspicuously ignored the
> costs of education and
> health care, and put a misleading spin on housing.
>
> Yes, the costs of food and clothing have risen more
> slowly than median
> family incomes, and the costs of electronic products
> have fallen
> [...]
http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine

=====
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute,
and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty
girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute.
THAT'S relativity."

Albert Einstein

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal