Three important points which I forgot to mention in my small piece about
equilibrium (only implying them) are the following.

1. I said, "in time, the market must balance out, and if it does not, the
only cause can be external factors, which could be social, political,
physical, cultural, psychological, animal spirits and so on.". This has an
important implication, because it means that there is a sense in which
obstacles and obstructions to the market have to be cleared away for
equilibrium to be achieved, an idea which is quite old in bourgeois economic
thought, and theories about it, date back at least to the formation of
national markets in Europe in the 17th and 18th century (although the
problem in merchant trade is of course much older). The same idea is
apparent in the neo-liberal concept of deregulation aiming to promote market
efficiency. The relevant point is twofold: on the one hand, the
establishment of economic equilibrium may necessitate the removal or
neutralisation of factors external to the market, and on the other hand,
there can never be anything systematic about these factors obstructing the
efficient operation of markets, and they could vary from one moment to the
next. That is to say, the only systematicity there is, is the price
mechanism itself, which provides the "logic of markets" specifiable in terms
of supply and demand factors. As regards the former, this relates closely to
a previous discussion we had about primitive accumulation and Rosa
Luxemburg's theorems about the expansion of the market. As regards the
latter, if all disequilibria result from external factors, and if there is
never anything systematic about these external factors, then any market
failure can never be system-immanent, i.e. it can never be a result of the
operation of markets themselves. But this is just a tautology, since, as I
mentioned, the price mechanism or the market-mechanism is precisely treated
as the modus by which balance between supply and demand is achieved in the
first place. You cannot very well say that the very thing that creates
balance is the cause of imbalance, unless you are Karl Marx, and start to
conceptualise dialectical contradictions.

2. The concepts of "supply" and "demand" are also never unproblematic in
themselves, as businesspeople know very well. In the case of supply, we are
dealing with such things as the decision to supply, manifest supply,
potential supply, and capacity to supply and so on. A supply could be
theoretical, or it could be real. This has to do with the fact that economic
actors can choose to enter or withdraw from the market for the purpose of
supply, independently of what the demand is, although, according to the
theory, if there is demand there, it will be supplied, and if there is a
supply, it will find its own demand, (opinions differ on just exactly how
that works and a lot of discussion is devoted to this). An example here is
the phenomenon of excess capacity, where there is a discrepancy between what
could theoretically or technically be supplied, and what is actually
supplied. So when we are talking about supply, we are not simply talking
about actual provision of net output conditional on payment by a buyer, we
are talking about much more, for example potential supply or theoretical
supply. Thus, supply need not be anything tangible, it could be just an
idea. The same applies to demand. In the first instance, of course, we are
talking about monetarily effective demand, effective buying power. But as
the concept of "potential markets" already indicates, we can never be fully
sure about what the real market is until we have sold our stuff and received
payment, and therefore "demand" need not be cash buyers seeking purchase,
but could also be potential demand or theoretical demand. These points are
obvious to any professional economist, but they have an important
implication for the concept of equilibrium, relating to the first sentence
of my script: I said, "the discussion about equilibrium is totally
meaningless unless you can specify what exactly is being equilibrated." (Ian
replied ""duh"). Namely, in a closer specification of what balance between
supply and demand would constitute, we have to deal not just with what is
actually supplied and what actual demand happens to be, but also with
potential demand and theoretical demand. And this is really what makes the
search for an adequate specification of equilibrium conditions so difficult
in neoclassical economics. There is a sense in which we have to assume what
we try to explain, we adopt a definition of equilibrium based on some
assumptions, but there is an epistemic problem in substantiating the
validity of this equilibrium definition. The concept of "market uncertainty"
suggests that we may not know what the supply is and what the demand is, and
this being the case, we cannot specify what would constitute a balance
between supply and demand. This means that equilibrium theorems are often
intrinsically hypothetical in the sense of us being unable to test or
falsify them. Hence, the neoclassical concept of equilibrium is ultimately a
metaphysical hypothesis.

3. In the neo-classical discussion about supply and demand, it is already
assumed that goods and services do exchange and will exchange in general. We
have the market, and we have the price mechanism, and for the rest exchange
just happens. This has a very important implication, because it means that
in neoclassical theory the exchange process itself is not problematised,
theorised and analysed thoroughly as a social process, or even as an
interaction between economic agents, it is assumed that this interaction
will normally occur, and that if it does not occur, that this is the product
of rational choices of economic agents withdrawing from the market.
Basically, we are dealing with abstract quantitities of supply and demand,
and with price relationships between goods and services analysed from the
point of view of costs and expenditures, sales and purchases. This has
another very important effect on the equilibrium discussion, because it
means that disequilibrium resulting from market failure can never inhere in
the exchange process itself, in the exchange process as such. It can inhere
only in the specific way that the exchange process process happens to
operate, the magnitudes of it. Thus, the concept of the "price mechanism"
substitutes for any serious neoclassical discussion of the concept of
economic exchange as such. This discussion may be of historical or
anthropological interest, but it is not considered part of economic theory
proper. This is a procedure diametrically opposed to that of Karl Marx, who
very carefully analyses economic exchange at the simplest level, and then
builds the architecture of Das Kapital on an examination of all the
different basic categories of exchange that occur, considered as social
processes, based on the idea that marketable goods and services are products
of human labour, and that the price relationship between goods and services
sold and bought therefore reflects a social relationship between economic
agents as producers and consumers, mediated through objectified value
relations. Thereby, neoclassical economics is not a social science but a
technical science, concerned with the relationships applying to prices,
priced goods and services, and price variables.

Jurriaan