What does "in short, he was not universally bad" mean Michael?

Being the President of the USA during the 1980 military coup in Turkey,
Carter is also responsible for the deaths of thousands of people in
Turkey, both before and after the coup.

We are not talking about killing one person by accident here.

What difference does it make how many when the murderer is killing in
the order thousands?

Sabri

++++++++++

http://www.zaman.com/print.php?kn=2735

Journalist Birand Denies Henze's Accusations - with Evidence

Istanbul, TURKEY, June 14, 2003 - Journalist Mehmet Ali Birand has
denied US National Security Council Advisor Paul Henze's remark (about
this [Sabri]): "Our boys did it" - related to September 12 1980 coup -
to then US President Jimmy Carter.

Responding to Henze's statement to Zaman that the "Our boys did it"
remark was made up by Birand, the journalist aired a videocassette in
his own defense on the program "Manset" on CNN Turk yesterday. "Our boys
did it" could be seen and heard coming from Paul Henze. In the footage,
the person informing Carter about the coup in Ankara is not Henze but
another diplomat. However, Henze who related the incident to Birand,
says on the video the message "Our boys did it" (which [Sabri]) was
conveyed to president Carter. The interview between the two in 1997 went
as follows:

Birand: First of all, did the CIA and the Pentagon have the information
about the coup beforehand?

Henze: I don't think so. I was informed of the coup that evening
(September 12, 1980) as well. I received a call from the National
Security Council. President Carter was at the Kennedy Center. I said on
the phone that this message has to be conveyed immediately. I made a
phone call. Carter did not leave his location. In the end, it was a very
positive development. And the following day, the dominant atmosphere in
Washington was relaxed. The generals were on top of the subject. It was
obvious that they did the job in a peaceful and effective way. Anyway,
their duty was to get rid of the terrorists and to do that in an
effective way.

Birand: What was your message to President Carter?

Henze: I don't recall exactly what he said. But as far as I remember,
when the person who was on duty at the National Security Council at the
time, called me and said something like, 'The boys in Ankara did it.'
That meant that the generals were in action. That was the whole story
anyways. Everything had been done with a very soft style. It was obvious
that everything had been planned extremely carefully.

Ibrahim Balta / Istanbul / TURKEY