Thanks to you all for all your input into this weighty discussion, I am a
little wheezy though, must quit smoking (how could Marx pack in all those
cigars ???).

Here's a quote from Freeman & Louca, As Time Goes By (Oxford University
Press, p. 274:

B.H. Klein showed that in 1900, steam and electric vehicles accounted for
about three-quarters "of the four thousand automobiles estimated to have
been produced by 57 American firms" (Klein 1977: 91). However, by 1917 about
three and a half million automobiles had been registered in the United
States, of which less than 50,000 were electric. Steam vehicles were
disappearing; the last major steam manufacturrer, the Stanley Motor Carriage
Company, produced 730 steam vehicles in 1917 - fewer than Ford produced in
one day before lunch (Volti 1990: 43). The simple explanation of the decline
of steam and electric vehicles seemed to be, with the benefit of hindsight,
that the internal combustion (gasoline) engine was 'better' or even
'optimal'. However in his fascinating article ''Why Internal Combustion ?',
Rudi Volti shows that things were by no means so simple. In the very early
days both steam and electric cars had many technical advantages, and the IC
automobile had some severe disadvantages, notably the sliding gear
transmission. invented by Emile Levassor (the 'L' in 'P' and L') in 1891.
His own description of his invention became famous: 'C'est brutal mais ca
marche !'. The electric car was simpler to start and drive, having no clutch
or transmission; moreover, it was quiet, reliable, and odourless. Yet by the
1920s the internal combustion engine completely dominated to car market,
leavng the steamers and electrics to very specialized niche markets or
museums. A longer operating range was undoubtedly one of the decisive
advantages of the IC engine, but this was not purely a technical matter. The
chain of refuelling stations and repair and maintenance facilities could
conceivably have been organized on a different basis, given different
strategies and policies of the utlities, manufacturrers, and regulators.
Indeed, in the 1990s policies were being developed to cope with battery
recharging services for electric cars in California and elsewhere, because
of the polution problems caused by millions of IC engines. However, the
'lock-in' to the IC engine makes any such change to an alternative system a
truly massive undertaking. There were over 500 million automobiles in use in
the world by the mid-1990s. The availability of cheap low-cost petrol
(gasoline) was a decisive advantage of the IC engine (Section 8.4), and
compounded by this vast lock-in to the internal combustion engine was the
success of the Ford's assembly line, which reduced the cost and price of the
Model T dramatically. The price of a model T fell from $850 in 1908 to $600
in 1913 and to $360 in 1916, because of a combination of organisational,
technical and social innovations".

The truth is that I bought a second-hand orange Ford Escort in New Zealand,
must have been 1992. Or was it 1993 ? It crapped out eventually, I could
barely drive it back from the hypnotherapist that I had been to see for a
"quite smoking" session.

"I got blisters on my fingers" (Sir Richard Starkey, at the end of "Helter
Skelter" by The Beatles).

Jurriaan