This is fucking priceless: (sorry Yoshie -- polite speech eludes me more
and more)

"Economists, while acknowledging the need for protecting consumers
during the transition, say that a market economy would provide food
much more cheaply and efficiently than the current government-run
system. But the American and Iraqi officials in charge of the program
know that economists' arguments are not going to assuage the fears of
citizens who have forgotten how the market works."

So, if I go to the pickup point and get free food, this is inefficient.
But if I got to the pickup point and get money and then take the money
to the market and get what I need, then that's efficient.

Joanna