Yep!  Indeed, many oligarchs came from academic backgrounds.  Gregory
Luchansky, who made one of the original Soviet era fortunes by selling
Soviet oil purchased at domestic prices and diverting it to world markets at
global prices, was a Vice-Rector for Administration at the University of
Latvia.  He was removed in 1982 for corruption.  He later went on to found
offshore oil companies run out of Austria, such as Nordex, originally as a
way to launder $ for the KGB to run global intelligence operations.  He then
ran it for immense personal gain and began selling off Russia's  natural
resources, and reputedly tutored Clinton's associate Mark Rich in the
business of creating energy offshores.

Jeffrey Sommers, Assistant Professor
Department of History
North Georgia College & State University
Dahlonega, GA  30597
Ph.: 706-864-1913 or 1903
Fax: 706-864-1873
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Research Associate, World History Center
Northeastern University, Boston

Research Associate
Institute of Globalization Studies, Moscow
http://www.iprog.ru/en/