        From: dmschanoes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Mon 3/8/2004 6:33 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: [PEN-L] oil crises.

        ----- Original Message -----
        From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 8:14 PM

        (a civil conversation)

        > DMS:  But Iraq is not a high cost producer of oil, having a
        > cost of production approximately
        > equal to Saudi Arabia, the low-cost producer.

        JD: I have heard otherwise from other sources.
        From the US Energy Information Agency

        http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/iraq.html

        Iraq's oil development and production costs are amongst the lowest in the
        world (perhaps $3-$5 billion for each million barrels per day), making it a
        highly attractive oil prospect. However, only 17 of 80 discovered fields
        have been developed, while few deep wells have been drilled compared to
        Iraq's neighbors. Overall, only about 2,300 wells reportedly have been
        drilled in Iraq (of which about 1,600 are actually producing oil), compared
        to around 1 million wells in Texas for instance. In addition, Iraq generally
        has not had access to the latest, state-of-the-art oil industry technology
        (i.e., 3D seismic, directional or deep drilling, gas injection), sufficient
        spare parts, and investment in general throughout most of the 1990s.
        Instead, Iraq reportedly utilized sub-standard engineering techniques (i.e.,
        overpumping, water injection/"flooding"), obsolete technology, and systems
        in various states of decay (i.e., corroded well casings) in order to sustain
        production. In the long run, reversal of all these practices and utilization
        of the most modern techniques, combined with development of both discovered
        fields as well as new ones, could result in Iraq's oil output increasing by
        several million barrels per day